Coquito Tres Leches Cake
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 handful of almonds (optional)
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (15 oz) can cream of coconut
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger (optional)
- Whipped cream
- Sponge Cake: Preheat oven to 350. Prepare 9x13 rectangular cake pan with butter and flour.
- Place egg whites in large mixing bowl and add 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Place egg yolks in medium mixing bowl and add 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Beat egg whites until very stiff.
- Beat egg yolks until very thick and pale yellow.
- Fold egg yolk mixture into egg white mixture.
- Fold in flour, 1/3 cup at a time until just combined.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan.
- Coquito: Grind almonds into a powder in the blender.
- Add evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, cream of coconut, coconut milk, vanilla, cinnamon and ginger. Blend together until thoroughly mixed.
- Assembly and Garnish: Poke as many holes as you wish into the cake with wooden skewers or a fork. Slowly pour all of the coquito on the cake, stopping every time it's about to overflow to give it a chance to absorb. Finish pouring all of the coquito on the cake, cover the pan with plastic wrap, and place it inside a tied up grocery bag in the fridge overnight.
- To serve, cut cake into squares and decorate each square with a dollop of whipped cream and cinnamon.